My Spring Reading List

Image source: springboard.com


I know spring technically starts on 21st March, but with the snow finally starting to melt and the temperatures actually getting above zero, I’m all optimistic and ready for the new season! With a few weeks left before the summer term starts, I want to spend more of my free time reading, as I know I probably won’t get the chance when the assignments roll in. So, without further ado, here’s my to-read list for the next month:


1. Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami: I must admit I’ve never read anything by Murakami before, even though many people I know love his writing and highly recommend his books. Last week, I went to the library and spotted this book…in Russian. I wanted to read a bit more in Russian anyway, just to expand my vocabulary, so I borrowed this one and I can’t wait to read it soon!

2. Die Klavierspielerin (The Piano Teacher) by Elfriede Jelinek: At Uni, I took a class on Austrian literature, where we also read one of Jelineks books. Her style is bold, and even though it’s not always a pleasant and easy read, I’m looking forward to something unconventional and thought-provoking.

3. Origin by Dan Brown: Being a fan of Brown, I couldn’t wait to get my hands on this one, but because of my exams at Uni, I haven’t managed to read it yet. I know some readers are already bored with the genius main character and Brown’s storyline pattern, but I still very much enjoy the mix of action, history, art and beautiful settings. Actually, one of the reasons I’m so excited about this book is the fact that it’s set in Barcelona, a city I’ve been planning to visit for a long time. Hopefully, I’ll book a flight this year!

4. Everything I Know about Love by Dolly Alderton: I’ve enjoyed reading Dolly’s articles for some time now and she’s also the host of my favourite podcast, The High Low. Her first book, published in February, is a memoir of her 20s and the experiences she had in dating, friendship and love. As a girl in my early 20s, I feel like this is the perfect book for me – especially if it’s written in Dolly’s honest and witty style.

5. Emma by Jane Austen: About two years ago, I received a set of seven novels by Austen for Christmas. So far, I’ve read Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility and I loved them both. Even though they’re a little slow-paced, especially compared to contemporary literature, I enjoy the depiction of English society at the break of the 18th and 19th century, as well as the characters and their relationships. Austen’s novels prove that even at the time when girls were raised to be good wives and mothers, there were strong, intelligent and opinionated women that can inspire us, readers from the millennial generation.

6. The Romanovs by Simon Sebag Montefiore: Another Christmas present, this non-fiction book tells the story of Romanovs, the Russian dynasty reigning from 1613 until 1917. As a student of Russian language, I’m also very interested in the country’s history and Montefiore’s books are well-known for their refreshing take on this subject. Though over 700 pages long, I’m sure this is going to be a captivating read, as the blurb mentions both family rivalries and sexual decadence…

7. Women Who Run with the Wolves by Clarissa Pinkola Estés: I’ve heard both raving and less-than-impressed reviews for this book, but I decided to give it a try after it was chosen by Emma Watson’s book club, Our Shared Shelf, on Goodreads. I spotted it at a book fair back in November and thought the small paperback edition was ideal for my daily commute, so I’m saving this for those dull train journeys…

I’m not expecting to finish all of these soon, but I’ll sure keep you updated with some reviews. In the meantime, feel free to give me more recommendations in the comments!

Love,

Bella

Comments

Popular Posts